FAQ’s Freight Forwarding
What is a freight forwarder?
Freight forwarders are responsible for transporting goods between two destinations. Freight forwarding companies arrange the whole process for their shippers, from storing the goods to shipping them internationally. Freight forwarders are intermediaries between the shippers and transportation services, negotiating with a range of carriers in order to achieve the most economical, reliable and fastest route.
What services do freight forwarders provide?
Freight forwarders provide a range of services and can assist with the whole supply chain process on multiple levels, including:
- Documentation for international exports and imports
- Storing goods
- Inventory management
What is a typical freight forwarding process look like?
Although the freight forwarding process might seem complicated, the whole process can be broken up into six key steps, including:
- Export haulage – This first step involves transferring goods from their original source to the freight forwarders’ warehouse.
- Export customs clearance – This is the important step for international shipping. This is when the goods receive clearance to leave their country of origin.
- Origin handling – Once the goods have received clearance, they will be unloaded from the warehouse, inspected and validated against their booking documents.
- Import customs clearance – The authorities will check the customs paperwork for the goods.
- Destination handling – This involves the handling of the goods once they reach their destination and includes the transfer of the goods to the import warehouse.
- Import haulage – The final step in the freight forwarding process involves the transfer of the cargo from the import warehouse to the final destination.
What about documentation?
Freight forwarding involves an extensive amount of research, this is why using a company with vast experience is beneficial, the institutional knowledge they have means faster and more accurate completion, Mac-Nels have been in this business since 1975.
We will provide you with all of the essential documents, including:
- Commercial invoices
- Bill of Lading contract
- Inspection certificates
- Export license
- Shippers export declaration documents
- Export packing list
- Certificate of origin statement
Why is Mac-Nels network important?
When choosing a freight forwarder, it’s advisable to go with a company who are well-established with a strong network of contacts. By going with an experienced freight forwarder, you’ll be able to receive the best quote for the shipment of your goods, as well as ensuring that they reach their destination in a timely manner.
Experienced freight forwarders will have encountered an array of problems over the years, Mac-Nels can deal with any problems with your shipment quickly, easily and professionally, should they arise.